Monday, December 10, 2007

Carrie Underwood's New CD

This time of year many recording artists try to put out a smash hit record so that holiday shoppers will add their album to their Christmas lists. This year is no different, and Carrie Underwood has attempted to be added to the lists of fans across the country. My question was if this new record would succeed and live up to the quality of her last album, Some Hearts.

After purchasing the album and listening to it several times, I am impressed by the songs, but unfortunately I feel it doesn't compare to her debut album. She has some catchy songs, but often her voice sounds forced and they are difficult for the average singer to sing along with. I was afraid it would be hard to top the hits she had in Some Hearts, and unfortunately I think I was right.

It's not a waste though, and I would recommend the album for those who enjoy this genre of country music. Just don't expect it to top her debut.

Some of the songs on Carnival Ride that I like the best are the typical girl-bashing-boys songs, such as "The More Guys I Meet". Her first single off the album is also pretty good, titled "So Small". My personal favorite however is the song Twisted, because the lyrics and music come together perfectly.

The songs on this album are definitely fun, and great "road-trip" driving music for a car full of girls (or guys?). She still has an incredible talent, and knows which songs to pick that will appeal lyrically to people from their teens through 30's or so.

No comments: